This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
A mattress topper is a sure way to rejuvenate the feel from your mattress and make your sleep more comfortable. This is basically a detachable comfort layer that helps you mask the imperfections of your mattress surface and add some pressure relief.
But how do you find the best one?
Scroll down a bit, and you find the list of the best mattress toppers in Australia, thoroughly selected for different occasions. All you need to do is just choose the model that appeals to you the most, so do not hesitate to read further!
A Quick Preview
Best Overall — Editor’s Choice
Thickness: 5 cm
Sizes available: Single, Single XL, Single King, Double, Queen, and King
Cover: organic cotton
|Shop Now on fernearth.com.au|
Read more about this mattress
Best Natural Mattress Topper
|Type: feather and down filling, natural and breathable|
Thickness: 9 cm
Sizes available: King, Queen, Double and King Single
Cover: 100% Japara cotton
|Shop Now on Zanui.com.au|
Read more about this mattress
Best for Cooler Sleep
Zanui Cool Gel Topper
|Type: gel-infused memory foam|
Thickness: 8 cm
Sizes available: Single, King Single, Double, Queen and King
Cover: Fabric, vinyl silicone gel, elastic memory foam
|Shop Now on Zanui.com.au|
Read more about this mattress
Best for Additional Pressure Relief
|Type: memory foam|
Thickness: 8 cm
Sizes available: Queen
|Shop Now on amazon.com.au|
Read more about this mattress
Our List of the 4 Best Mattress Toppers in Australia
Best Overall — Editor’s Choice — Fern Earth
- durable Dunlop latex with a plush feel;
- can rejuvenate the feel from your old bed in seconds;
- hypoallergenic and mould-resistant;
- encased in the organic cotton cover;
- offers instant cradling and doesn’t mess with your movements.
Another top-rated mattress topper in Australia, which got its place in this list, is the fern Earth. It’s most prominent feature is the use of natural latex and organic cotton that result in a completely natural and eco-friendly mattress pad with an extraordinary plush feel.
Natural latex is a somewhat paradoxical material: it offers the same instant contouring as the traditional memory foam but doesn’t have that extra sinkage. This means that the pad won’t absorb your movements to the point when it’s difficult to get out of the bed. However, it can easily block some unwanted disturbances from your partner and ensure peaceful sleep for both.
Another great feature of latex is its cooling effect. Natural latex has open-cell structure and retains less heat than synthetic foams. Besides, the topper is encased in natural cotton cover which wicks away moisture and makes the cooling properties even more pronounced.
So, if you need a durable mattress topper that will sleep cool and won’t provoke your allergies, the Fern is definitely the way to go.
- free of harsh chemicals and will work for people with troubled breathing;
- sleep exceptionally cool;
- eco-friendly option made of renewable materials;
- works for individuals with limited mobility (i.e. those with chronic back pain or recovering from surgeries);
- not overly responsive to movements.
- falls into the pricier category;
- natural latex might have a rubber odour for the first couple of nights.
Best Natural Mattress Topper — Zanui Pillowtop
- feather and down filling, natural and breathable;
- 1-year warranty for your peace of mind;
- elastic skirt to ensure a secure fit and undisturbed sleep;
- 100% cotton cover for increased breathability, gentle on the skin and safe for allergy-prone sleepers;
- deep pockets, would work with a wide variety of mattresses (including taller ones).
Want to make your bed feel like a cloud? Then this fluffy topper by Zanui is your guy. Being among the best mattress toppers in Australia, this model offers unparalleled comfort and effective temperature regulation. The Zanui uses real feathers and down to achieve that luxurious feel and gentle pressure relief. But the best part hides in this topper’s breathability. Because the filling allows for unobstructed air circulation, the Zanui can regulate one’s temperature to create the best conditions for sleep (keeping you cool in summer and warm in winter).
Here’s another great news: this topper has a handy elastic skirt for increased convenience in use. The skirt secures the topper in place effectively and prevents it from sliding off during the night. Additionally, it has rather deep pockets. Therefore, the Zanui topper would work with a wide variety of mattresses (any model up to 45 cm in height).
You might also appreciate the baffle design of this topper. Not only does it look extra plush and welcoming but also serves to keep the filling evenly distributed. Suc a smart move can guarantee your increased comfort. There’s no need to worry about lumps or dips, as you will sleep on an even surface night after night.
All things considered, this mattress topper can satisfy a wide range of sleepers (except those who are allergic to down, naturally). It is plush, comfy, and can help you create a temperature-neutral sleeping environment.
- uses safe, natural materials;
- temperature regulating for improved comfort during each season;
- quality made and comes with an attractive price tag, offers good value for money;
- fitted elastic skirt for convenient use;
- deep pockets, would work even with higher-profile mattresses;
- breathable and natural cover, safe even for users who have sensitive skin;
- baffle box design to ensure an even sleeping space.
- not suitable for people with down allergy;
- requires special care when it comes to cleaning (when compared to other topper types);
- might sleep warmer for heavier users who sink in a bit deeper.
Best for Cooler Sleep — Zanui Cool Gel Topper
- gel-infused memory foam for cooler sleep without sacrificing pressure relief;
- bamboo cover for increased breathability;
- offers close conforming to aid proper weight distribution;
- removable cover for fuss-free maintenance;
- absorbs motion well and can make a bouncy mattress suitable for undisturbed sleep.
If you are looking for gentle pressure relief but don’t want to sleep hot, this gel-infused foam topper by Zanui could be helpful. It’s a conforming memory foam topper that will gently cradle the protruding parts of your body, reducing tension and minimizing pressure points. And thanks to the vinyl silicone gel in its composition, it will draw the heat away from your body instead of trapping it and making you sweat. Sounds like a perfect combo, doesn’t it?
Now, another cool thing about this mattress topper is the cover. The Zanui uses natural bamboo in this model to enhance its cooling properties and to make it more breathable. Moreover, bamboo is naturally antibacterial. This means the topper will help maintain a fresh, allergen-free sleeping environment.
It gets better:
The cover is removable. You can take it off occasionally and wash it in the machine. No fuss, not too much effort, no worries. You can keep your bed fresh and clean (and even prolong the lifespan of the mattress by protecting it from spills and dirt).
All in all, the Zanui Cool mattress topper is one of the best options you can find for cooler sleep and a fresher feel.
- antibacterial, breathable cover, safe even for sensitive users;
- gel-infused memory foam for superb pressure relief without making you sleep hot;
- thick enough to alter the feel of your old mattress;
- quality-made but comes at a rather reasonable price;
- removable cover for easy maintenance and improved convenience;
- 1-year warranty for your peace of mind.
- might not be supportive enough for heavier sleepers;
- some initial odor is possible upon arrival.
Best for Additional Pressure Relief — LUXDREAM
- dual-layer construction for better support;
- the thickness is sufficient to fix even a very old mattress;
- removable bamboo cover;
- open-cell foams for breathable design;
- great motion absorption.
This topper uses a comfort layer of cooling foam and an extra layer of support foam. Such a construction gives it good supportive properties. The Luxdream can help sleepers with proper weight distribution and, consequently, contribute greatly to pressure relief.
The Luxdream is 8-cm thick and is made of two 4-cm foam layers. The first layer is the soft gel memory foam and delivers a plush feel and painless sleep. Plus, gel beads in the foam effectively prevent overheating by adapting to changes in your body temperature, even on summer nights.
Below, the layer of high-density foam is placed to distribute your weight and absorb any unwanted movements from the other side of the bed. The dense foam also masks the possible indentations of the mattress surface and ensures proper spinal position without any awkward curves.
All this goodness is encased into a breathable bamboo cover, which you can remove and wash for the fresh looks. If this doesn’t sound like a perfect mattress pad, then what is?
- excellent weight distribution and spinal support;
- low motion transfer makes a great combo with a coil mattress;
- doesn’t sleep hot;
- easy to keep fresh thanks to a removable cover;
- suits heavy users due to its thickness.
- a cover may shrink a bit after the first wash;
- may not work for users who want to make their mattress firmer.
Who Might Benefit From a Mattress Topper?
Mattress toppers are an incredibly popular bedding item for one reason:
By adding just 5-8 cm of foam to your mattress you can significantly improve its cradling and support.
You’ll most likely benefit from a mattress topper if you:
- Have an old mattress. Most mattresses have a lifespan of 7-10 years (1), and if your bed meets these numbers, it’s probably worth replacing. However, sometimes you just can’t spend a lump of money on a new bed, and this is when the mattress topper comes in handy. It costs way less than a brand new bed and can score you a couple of years before you replace your current mattress.
- Have too soft or too firm mattress. If you find out that your mattress is uncomfortable after the trial period has passed, the manufacturer won’t satisfy your claim for a refund. However, by choosing a mattress topper of the desired firmness, you can alter the feel of your bed and make your sleep more comfortable.
- Sleep on a mattress that isn’t your own. If you rent an apartment, you may not know who slept on this bed before you and how old this mattress actually is. So, in this case, the mattress topper serves as a hygienic layer and protects you from mould or dust mites that can hide inside the mattress layers.
What Are the Top-Rated Mattress Toppers in Australia Made Of?
The modern market can offer you dozens of models when it comes to mattress pads, which can make a choice pretty difficult. However, you can narrow the choice down by the materials, as there are only four most common configurations:
- Foam. Polyfoam, memory foam, infused foams, or any other variations are the most popular configuration you can get. They all have roughly the same properties: great pressure relief, close conforming to your body shape, and good motion absorption. Foam toppers come in a vast range of firmnesses and thicknesses, so you can pair them with any type of mattress.
- Latex. Latex is a vulcanized sap of rubber trees mixed with some additives to improve density and longevity. It’s pretty different from the traditional foams and doesn’t have the ‘memory’ effect. Also, latex is denser than synthetic foams, so you can expect a longer lifespan (and heavier weight). Finally, thanks to its open-cell structure, natural latex sleeps cool even on summer nights.
- Fiberfill. These typically have fitted sheet design with a quilted fiberfill top. The main features of fiberfill toppers are their exceptional moldability, light weight, and temperature neutrality. However, depending on the fill density and material, the lifespan of the fiberfill toppers can fluctuate significantly, so you may replace them more frequently compared to other types (2).
- Composite. As the name implies, these mattress pads combine two or more materials (foam and latex layers, foam core with fiberfill top, etc). Composite mattresses are generally thicker and more durable but the final properties will depend on the materials used.
What to Look for in the Best Mattress Topper?
Every sleeper is unique, which means that there’s no universal bedding accessory for everyone. However, you can choose a mattress topper that will totally fit your demand if you follow these recommendations.
Most mattress toppers in Australia are 5-cm thick. This thickness is sufficient to alter the feel of your bed if you need it and ensure a snuggly fit under your sheets. However, sometimes you can find dual-layer toppers that are 8-10 cm thick. They can make a worthy purchase for heavy sleepers, couples, or owners of old mattresses.
Choose the desired firmness depending on the final feel you want to get. For example, if your mattress is too firm, go for a soft topper, and you’ll get the medium feel as a result.
Also, be sure to find a mattress pad compatible with your sleeping style. Side sleepers may need something soft that can cradle their hips and shoulders. Stomach sleepers need something firm to support their lower back area. Back sleepers can benefit from any firmness if they don’t have any health issues.
“If you choose a memory foam topper, it may feel firmer at the beginning. Memory foam is a temperature-sensitive material, which means it uses your body heat to soften up, and it may need a couple of weeks to break in.”
The cover of your mattress pad protects it from moisture and dust, which prolongs the topper’s lifespan. Models with removable cover are more preferable because you can refresh your mattress topper by washing it. Among the non-removable covers, Tencel and plain cotton are the best, as they wick away moisture and repel odors.
Final WordHaving tested all four models, I have picked the Fern Earth as my favorite, and I’m sure you are going to love this mattress topper just as much. This model uses natural latex that offers unparalleled support and pressure relief. Additionally, it can create a pleasantly cool sleeping environment. It is safe and chemical-free, which is enough of a reason to love it, in my opinion. Plus, this topper is nicely made and promises durability in use. And what about you? Which model among the four has got your heart? Write your answer in the comments!
- Alice Murphy (2019, March 6). How Often Should You Change Your Mattress? Retrieved from https://www.newidea.com.au/how-often-should-you-change-your-mattress
- Michelle ullman (2019, October 2). Pros and Cons of Different Types of Mattress Toppers. Retrieved from https://www.thespruce.com/whats-the-best-mattress-topper-350741
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted